Thursday, September 6, 2012

September Smiles........

DISCLAIMER.....remember I tell the truth, the whole truth and the blunt truth.  I am not knocking my former employer...I'm still a loyal patron of the institution and still refer customers to them.  What I have to say is about me not THEM. 


Ok, now that that is out of the way. 
Usually spring is a time of new beginnings but for me....it seems like September is.  4 years ago today I went to my first psychiatrist appointment for my anxiety disorder and was put out on a 3 month leave of absence.  But I've talked enough about my cheese sliding off my cracker.  I want to talk about what happened 1 year ago today.

1 year ago today I was at work at an unnamed place of business staring out the window at....well, another unnamed business... when it occurred to me that I couldn't do THIS anymore.  By THIS I mean the job.  It physically made me sick.  I dreaded the whole 7.75 hours I was there.  I had been beat down by management, been given broken promises, taken the blame for things that others did.....but I was the top performer, the best sales person, the "glue" that held it all together.  And I'm not bragging...it was the truth.  My parents have given me alot of things I could do without...insecurity, anxiety, etc....but they gave me a wonderful work ethic.  I had seen them stay at jobs for years so that's what I thought I was supposed to do....unlike my unnamed sibling who has had more jobs than I have had dates (probably not my best or most flattering analogy but gets the point across).  I had been at this job since I graduated college....13 years.  Well, a year ago....I stood up....walked across the lobby and said the words that literally changed my life......"I quit".  Now I would like to say they begged me to stay....but they didn't.  And what happened later that day was not pleasant so I'm not getting into that....but I got the best part... freedom.  When I left that place...I was so nervous...."what had I done"....I didn't have a job....."how am I going to pay my car payment"...."how am I going to pay for my medicine".  I threw my Halloween decorations in my trunk (don't ask) and off my Honda went on a new adventure.  The first adventure was a free trip to Hilton Head with my mom....after that week I faced the reality of being unemployed.  During my 6 months of early "retirement" I worked at the bookstore and a jewelry store.....sold all of my seasonal decor (I decided I didn't want anything to remind me of my time THERE)....sold all kinds of stuff.  I survived.  Flash forward to today......I'm a star performer at State Farm....don't laugh it's totally true.  I'm a natural at sales.  I could sale ice to an Eskimo.  I still work at the bookstore and the jewelry store.  I have a thriving pet baby-sitting business....thriving is a little strong...but I watch the neighbors half dead 50 lb cat.  I deserve a medal of honor for that because I don't like any animal that poops in the house.  I'm starting H&R Block's tax preparation school in 2 weeks to be an authorized tax preparer....to better learn how to do my own taxes and then hopefully I can do taxes at night at H&R Block.  And did I mention I'm thinking of real estate school???  And don't forget "Cute As A Button"...my online store of crafty cuteness. And I'm the Treasurer/Collections Officer of the neighborhood POA.   I'm seeing what is out there.....playing the field, so to speak, on the job front.  Making myself more hireable by being more knowledgeable.

I say all this today because a friend of mine followed in my footsteps and took a giant leap of faith...and quit her job of many, many years.  And she is definitely the "glue" that holds it all together.  But she's doing it for herself and that's what matters.  I know she's scared and nervous. She has a family.....I still smooze off the Murphys....I had backup if Lizard Lick Towing showed up at my door to repo my car.  She choose happiness over security.....and take it from me, my friend...it's the best way to go.  Bravo!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment